Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20th, 2013


Hi family,
It was fun talking to you last week! You all looked so cozy in the nice house. I don't know if I'll get to see it before  you move, but I'm wishing you all the best in that endeavor.
 
Oh, and before I forget, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BENJAMIN! Hey, remember when I made all that stuff for your zombie birthday and it was awesome? And then (was it for Tyler's birthday?) I made that bloody battleground cake with cherry frosting and army men? Good times. I'm still getting asked to use my talents(?) a lot here in the mission field, so I'm glad to know it has paid off.
 
I don't have much time for a proper email this week, but I love you guys and appreciate your prayers so much! This week has been extremely hard because my companion and I don't like each other and don't work well together, which is rough, but the hardest part is trying to accept that this is the kind of trial the Lord wants me to go through right now. As a sister missionary at the top of my game, I expected to be able to use my year's worth of experience to help a lot of people, and instead I'm steering my frenzied Japanese companion around Kiryu watching her preach at people because she never lets me talk and doesn't take my advice. So yeah, that's frustrating. Did I mention how much I appreciate your prayers?
 
A few transfers ago I heard a statement attributed to C.S. Lewis along the lines of "No man knows how bad he is until he tries to be good." That's the truth. I didn't know how un-Christlike I am until being put in a position where being Christlike is the only way to survive. It feels overwhelming. I haven't felt this hopeless since my first or second transfer. Send me all your "Well here's what I did on my mission..." emails!
 
I love all of you, your faith, and your persistence in doing what is right. Take care until next week!
Long Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment